Monday, March 14, 2011

This weekend at Fancy Pony Land


Very eagerly anticipating the flag-raising.  Today we start scheming on the flag hanging arrangement and methods.  Flag-makers and good friends Seth Damm and Nick Terry have generously agreed to help me with the hanging, for which I am most grateful.  Will it be diagonal runs or rows of garlands?  Staggered height?  Flags have been arriving every day and they are pretty amazing.  There are flags from my dad, aunts, uncles and cousins, my kindergarten teacher, someone I made a wedding dress for, and some people I've never met who, no doubt, will soon become friends.  


Also this weekend I am happy to welcome my favorite New Orleans designer and good friend, Andrea Loest, for a trunk show at Fancy Pony Land. Andrea will be presenting a sample sale of one of a kind garments based on material explorations and new garments based on reinterpretations of existing garments.  She will arrive Friday afternoon and set up, so if you want to get an early peek, come by late afternoon on Friday.  The trunk show runs Saturday the 29th & Sunday the 20th 12-6pm at Fancy Pony Land.  Some of her work will remain at the store after the show.  I can't WAIT to see what new stuff she's been up to!


Andrea and I met in New Orleans in 2005.  We immediately hit it off and started doing trades.  She made me an amazing one of a kind "Fiancee" dress which I wore to my engagement celebration dinner at Jacques-Imo's in New Orleans (she got this flying penises bandage dress with rhinestones).  We collaborated on a line of tops years ago--my tops with her silkscreens and my appliques.  Highly collectible no doubt.  We also did the Austin City LImits Festival together and shared a booth.  She approaches design in a very conceptual and narrative manner and is always working on big questions and big projects.  She's also a total independent and the rare combination of artist and business woman.  

her bio:


Andrea Loest is an artist and fashion designer who currently lives and works in New Orleans, Louisiana.  She recently received her MFA in Fiber and Material Studies from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and has a BFA in Painting and Drawing from the University of Iowa. Her interdisciplinary art practice explores the intersections of art, retail, and garment, while her ready to wear collection and stage performances have been exhibited in New York, Amsterdam, and London.  More information on the artist is available at
www.andrealoest.com


No comments:

Post a Comment