Wednesday, February 16, 2011

bandages

                                                                     dark rainbow dress
                                                                             rainbow skirt
                                                                     red hot top & skirt


Elizabeth and I have been busy in the shop lately with bandage skirts and dresses.  I am pretty excited about some of these new color combinations.  
It's been in the 70s the past few days and I am ready for spring.
The bandage rosettes have changed over the years.  They've tightened up, become more symmetrical and regular.  Also denser.  And the skirt shape has gotten narrower.  We've really got it down at this point.
I've been making bandage skirts since the fall of 2002.  I started making them when I first lived down in Redford, TX on the Rio Grande.  The landscape was just so wild all around you is geology really telling a story.  Also I was reading about Georgia O'Keeffe and her landscapes and thinking about the sort of dissected layer look of her flowers.  I started tearing up some Indian cotton voile into strips, then cutting into pieces.  I sewed them into a variety of shapes and patterns in the beginning--stripes! Then I settled on the "rosette" shape I use now, which had a nice deconstructed quilt look and also an O'Keeffe flower feel.  My friends Matt Vis and Kirsha Kaechele came down and visited during that time and Matt said, "let me get this straight.  You're tearing up fabric, then sewing it back into fabric?  That's a little crazy."  
Still crazy after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment